|Item Title:||Interview of Candidates and Selection of Provisional Appointee for Vacant Board Seat (120 Mins/Action)|
With the recent resignation of former Board President Mia Bonta, there is currently a vacant seat on the Board of Education. Education Code gives the Board two options for filling the vacant seat: calling a special election, or appointing an applicant. At its meeting on September 14th, the Board voted unanimously to use the appointment method to make a provisional appointment of a new Board member who will fill former Board President Bonta's vacancy on the Board until the end of her term, which is November, 2022.
Applications for the vacant seat were made available to the public on September 20th. Applications were due back by 5pm on October 1st. Seven people applied for the position. The seven candidates are (in alphabetical order):
1. Stephanie Chenard
2. Ardella Dailey
3. Katie de Vries
4. Marisa Johnson
5. Ryan LaLonde
6. Diane Lang
7. Jen Nguyen
On October 12th:
- Candidates will give a three-minute opening statement (names will be drawn randomly to determine the order).
- Each of the four seated Board of Education members and three student Board Members will have an opportunity to interview each candidate for three minutes.
- At the close of the final round of questions, the Board President will entertain motions from the Board to appoint a candidate.
- Once that motion is seconded, the Board will discuss and then vote on the candidate.
- If there is no second, that candidate will not be considered.
- In the event that a majority of the Board does not approve any candidate, Board members will be able to move to reconsider a previous motion for a candidate.
|AUSD LCAP Goals:||1. Eliminate barriers to student success and maximize learning time.| 2a. Support all students in becoming college and career ready.| 2b. Support all English Learners (ELs) in becoming college and career ready.| 3. Support parent/guardian development as knowledgeable partners and effective advocates for student success.|
Amount (Savings) (Cost):
|The Board will interview candidates and may take action to appoint a provisional Board of Education member. |
|AUSD Guiding Principle:||#5 - Accountability, transparency, and trust are necessary at all levels of the organization.|
|Submitted By:||Board of Education|